Important Summer Car Care Maintenance Tips
The summers are getting hotter by the year, further so in India. While we would love to stay in air-conditioned indoors and avoid crazy heat, it’s not always possible. And as soon as you step out, all you can think of is getting into an air-conditioned car. Many people handle the entire summer season by juggling between air-conditioned House, Workplace and Car. Thus it very important to keep your car summer ready. Imagine your car breaking down and turning into an overheated box in the middle of your trip….Phew! Well worry not as we have compiled the best car care tips to protect your car from sweltering hot summer
1. Protect The Car Exterior:
The exterior of your car is the most exposed to the brutal sun rays that damage your car paint and its shine.
Tips To Protect Car Exterior In Summer:
- The very obvious but important thing is to avoid parking your car in the sun for too long. Take that extra effort to find a cool shady place to park your car as much as possible. Use a sunshield as it will help in maintaining a cooler temperature inside the car
- If your car is parked for too long in open, kindly cover it with Car Body Cover to prevent it from all the dust and grime
- Regular Dry Wash & Wax Polish every six months will protect the paint and shine of your car
- Teflon Coating adds that extra layer of protection for long term
2. Check The Tyres:
Tyres tend to overheat during the summer season as the road temperatures are extremely hot. If the tyres are not inflated adequately, it can cause further overheat and there is a danger of tyre blowout.
Tips To Protect Car Tyres In Summer:
- Check that there is enough tread on the tyres. Kindly replace them at the beginning of the summer season if the tread of the tyres are worn out or if you see signs of balding
- Keep the tyres inflated to the recommended levels and maintain the correct tyre pressure including the spare tyre. It helps in saving fuel as well
- Ensure to get your wheels aligned before taking any trips
3. Check Under The Hood:
There are many important components under the hood like Car Battery, Essential fluids from Oil to Coolant, Air Filter and various Hoses & Pipes. If any of these do not function properly, it can lead to overheating and eventually car breakdown
Tips To Protect Car Engine & Other Vital Parts In Summer:
- Regular Servicing of your car is the most crucial and important part of making your car summer ready
- Car Battery takes a lot of load during summer due to constant use of air-conditioner. It tends to overcharge due to the heat. Check the battery terminals for corrosion, check for cracked or lose wires to avoid battery draining, check and keep the area around the battery clean and check the distilled water level in the battery
- Car Essential Fluids lubricate and serve as coolants which carry the heat away from the vital parts of the car. They include 1) Engine Oil; the viscosity & level are 2 factors to be looked at when checking the Engine Oil. It is the second most important fluid of the car, it should be replaced regularly to keep the engine lubricated and healthy 2) Car Coolant; staying cool is very important for the car engine. Check the radiator for coolant levels, top it up if required and ensure the pipes carrying it are not leaking. If the coolant looks sludgy or oily, kindly get it replaced from an authorised service center. Caution – Do not open radiator cap while it’s hot 3) Check all other Essential Fluids like brake oil, transmission, power-steering and Windshield water fluid for quality and quantity and top the to the recommended levels to avoid engine wear & tear and overheating during hot summer climate
- There is a belt which runs between the alternator and the fan which needs to be in good condition. Check for the right amount of tension and any wear & tear signs
- The Air Filter should be thoroughly cleaned or replaced as required to avoid smooth functioning of a blower and ensure clean and cool air inside the car
Also watch the video – Best Tips to Change Your Engine Oil video
4. Service The Air-Conditioner:
Due to the excess heat and more use during summer, there is a heavy load on the car air-conditioning system. Lack of proper air conditioning in a car can cause discomfort to the car and the passengers.
Tips To Protect Car Air-Conditioner In Summer:
- Car AC is a summer essential and its regular servicing from an authorised car dealership or service center is a very important part of maintaining it
- Get any issues and leaks in Car AC pipes, ducts and vents checked, cleaned & fixed to avoid losing Ac Gas
- Get the car AC gas topped up to recommended levels
- Get the cooling coil washed and cleaned for cleaner air
- Do not start the car with AC turned ON. Start the AC only after starting the car and ensure windows are rolled down for a while to let the hot air and any carcinogenic fumes out before inhaling them
5. Maintain Clean Car Interior:
The hot sunny temperature does not spare the car interior either. It makes the interiors very hot to even touch if parked under the sun for some time especially if the interiors are black. The leather upholstery adds a stench making the cabin reek of hot foul odour causing difficulty to breathe
Tips To Maintain Car Interior In Summer:
- Keep the car interiors clean at all points of time by getting Deep Interior Cleaning done at regular intervals
- Ensure there are no dust deposits on dashboard and AC vents to breathe cleaner air
- Use sunshades or Sunvisor to protect the car interiors from excess sun heat. A dashboard sunshade can prevent fading over time and keeps the cabin cooler.
- Before starting the car, open the doors for a while and let the interior cool down if it was parked under the sun
- Use a recommended Car Disinfectant treatment with anti-fungal and antiviral properties to keep the interiors clean and safe
6. Stay Prepared To Handle Car Breakdown:
Last but not least, as a preventive measure, it is crucial to always stay ready in case your car breaks down in the scorching hot summer.
Tips To Manage Car Breakdown In Summer:
- Ensure that an emergency kit with all the required tools is always available in the car
- Check that the spare tyre is in good condition and the necessary tools to change tyre are available
- Few emergency supplies like an extra bottle of water, coolant, phone charger, flashlight, emergency sign etc. should be loaded in the car before going on any trip or long drive
- Check and ensure that the entire set of relevant documents are present in the car
- A Medical kit or the First-Aid kit should be handy for handling any sort of medical emergency
- Keep the driver and the passengers hydrated to avoid heat stroke
Let the summer heat not stop you from going on a trip or enjoying vacations outdoors with your family. Follow the above-mentioned tips to keep your car roaring and revving every summer season.
For further guidance or assistance, please visit Shivam Autozone Maruti Suzuki & Nexa Service Centers across Mumbai, Thane & Palghar.
Also Read – Top 10 Car maintenance tips for monsoon